Storage units are an excellent solution for anyone who needs space for their belongings, whether it’s temporary or long-term. You may need one for your stuff while you’re waiting for your moving day or to hold some belongings that don’t fit in your home anymore, but you can’t let go of them.
For a first-timer, choosing the right storage unit option can be daunting, especially if you don’t fully understand your options. Don’t worry, though, as Jefferson Storage shares with you this quick guide so you’ll know exactly which storage solution would meet your needs best:
The Two Different Types of Storage That You Can Rent
There are two general types of storage solutions that you need to choose from before you worry about things like the size of the unit. Here are your options:
You can find full-service storage companies that offer complete services that usually include picking up your belongings from your location and delivering them to your storage unit. You can decide when you want to have our stuff picked up. What this could mean for you is that you won’t have to go through the hassle of hauling your things and driving all the way to the storage unit location. Many full-service storage companies even document your belongings, so you know exactly what you have stored in their facility.
Perhaps the more popular option, self-storage, as the name implies, allows you to store all your belongings in a storage unit, and you have complete control of what you want to keep there. Depending on the size of your storage unit, you can store anything from your boxed clothes to your boat or motorcycle! But because you’re not getting the full-service option, you’ll be the one to bring your stuff, organize and pick them up when needed. Self-storage
What Size Storage Should You Rent?
There are several options for you size-wise when you choose self-storage. Most companies can provide you with at least five sizes to choose from:
There are larger sizes available, too, so make sure that you ask the company if they have something bigger if that’s what you need.
With most full-service storage, you can get different storage unit sizes, too, but the price and square footage will be based on the number of boxes or bins you need.
How Long Can You Rent a Storage Unit?
In general, you can keep renting a storage unit as long as you need it. Most companies offer short- and long-term storage solutions. However, many companies require a minimum length of time that you can rent. Most of them have a 3-month minimum requirement. It’s best to discuss this with the company if you don’t think you’ll need the storage space for too long or if you’re going to need one indefinitely.
What Should You Look for in a Storage Facility?
Here are some factors that you should consider aside from the size:
- Pricing and contract terms
- Climate control
- Accessibility (If you can open your storage 24/7)
- Number and type of locks used
- Safety, security, and surveillance system
- Client Reviews for the facility
What You Need to Remember Before Keeping Your Stuff in a Storage Unit
Don’t just choose a storage facility and haul your stuff. Make sure you do these things to ensure that your belongings are safe:
- Take inventory of all the things that you are going to keep in the storage unit. If possible, label the boxes with numbers and indicate what box number the item goes to in your notes.
- Clean and dry everything that you are going to store. Disinfect boxes and vacuum pillow upholstery to avoid mildew growth.
- Disassemble furniture because this saves space and ensures that your furniture pieces won’t get broken while in storage.
- Pack everything securely. Use cardboard boxes, clear plastic bins, and bubble wraps, especially for those that need extra protection.
- Review the rules of the storage company. The storage company is definitely going to have restrictions when it comes to the use of their storage facility, make sure to review that so you won’t break any of them and get penalized.
Storage facilities are a great help if you need more space at home or if you have a business and you need a secure place for your inventories. However, because not all storage companies offer the same quality of facilities and services, you should be careful in choosing one.
Jefferson Storage is one of the most trusted companies that offer secure storage in Birmingham. We provide climate-controlled self-storage units that are perfect for both personal and commercial use. Contact our team to know your options!